CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Friday, July 18, 2008

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them. ~Desmond Tutu


So, I've been writing a different blog, it's taking me a few days to finish and of course I am still pondering and praying about it all. So, in the mean time, I am going to write on another topic. I've done it before. I think it was for a college class but here and now, I am going to do it again because it is important to me.


My Granny: George Ann Haswell


She has been in my life since before the day I was born. As many of you know, my parents did not get married before I came along. They dated for a while and stuff (you can determine the stuff for yourself). So, somewhere in the beginning of my life, they, my parents decided to live together to raise me. They picked out a house and bought it together in Corinth, TX. It was close to their work and close enough to my granny and other family members. So, through the years I many hours, days, and weeks at Granny & Gramps' house. In the 4th grade we moved to Wichita Falls, TX. Hard move for me but I would like to say I got through it alright. It brought me to where I am now and I am pretty dang happy with that. My parents would take lots of time driving my sister and I down to Duncanville to see my granny- spend the day, a weekend, a week or more- however long she would put up with us. In the 7th grade Gramps went on home to be with Jesus. So, it was just Granny and Hope (her little dog that thought she was human!). We still continued to visit all the same.


Through my life, Granny and I have always had this special connection. She's always gotten me. She's been there for me, encouraged me, supported me, and disciplined me... and she took me to church while in town. Even living 2 hours away, I could get a phone call from Granny and she'd ask me, "Casey, is everything okay? I just had this feeling..." and most of the time, I was upset about something. She always just knew.


By the way, my Granny's Chocolate Chip Cookies trump your granny's chochips! I just had to throw that one in there- I know anyone in my family will stand behind me if you wanna take it outside. hehe. :-)


She is the center of our family. No one dare mess with her, or you're going to hear about it from someone if not everyone... not that she needs anyone to stand up for her- she's been around over a quarter of a century, has seen 2 husbands go to Jesus, raised 3 sons and help with 2 step daughters, be there for 4 grandsons, and 9 granddaughters... there is more, I guess I shall continue- 2 double step grandsons their wives and their kids, 1 great granddaughter with 2 more on the way (not from me- remember I'm EPT -). :-) My point- she can stand up for herself and she does.


At some point in college, I got caught up with myself. I didn't call her or go see her as much. As you will see in another blog I am working on, I'm selfish. Shortly after I moved down this way, I moved into an apt in Lewisville. My friend was over one morning, I decided not to take a subjob that day- praise His name- because my mom called. I answered, not wanting to for only the Lord knows why, and my mom told me dad was leaving work, stopping by the house only to get a sandwich to eat on the way to the hospital... Hospital?!!? WHY!?! Granny had a heart attack. She was in pain that morning and had called her friend Virgina to come get her and take her to the hospital because she was scared that if she called an ambulance they would let Hope out and she didn't want to have to worry about her dog while she was laying in the hospital bed. So, I left and turned a 45 minute drive probably into a 25 minute drive- I dared any officer to pull me over and see what happens. Virgina had Grannys cell phone and called my uncle Randy, who in turn called a few of the family members, my dad and their brother Lin. Everyone was on their way from Houston, Marshall, & Wichita Falls. Once I arrived at the hospital I got her phone called my 2 aunts Muriel and her family in Norman,OK- they're on their way now, and my cousin Lindsey who lives right there in Duncanville- I couldn't get a hold of her mom bc she was at work but I knew Lindsey would know how and did. Within a few hours, we were all there. Just waiting. I think Dad got there before anyone- he of course was talking to doctors and finding out everything he could. He can be pretty good at taking charge- and I think he feels pretty comfortable in hospital situations (prob not his favorite when he's there for his own mom though!) Anyway, she came through surgery fine, sore, but fine and recovered. That was about 3 years ago. For a really long time she wasn't herself fully. She seemed weak and in pain, and sick a lot. This year she had another surgery, not on her heart, and is much better. I think she feels better then she has in a long time. Anyway, when she had her heart attack I promised myself I would be more intentional. I wasn't though. Even for the year that I lived with her, I wasn't intentional. I feel like I kind of took it for granted. Granny is close to ALL of her grandkids, blood and step. But the Lord put me in her home for a year. How lucky am I? And I wasted a lot of that time with her. I love her. I love her a lot. Last week, I went down there, Andrew and all, and spent part of the day with her. It was wonderful. And yesterday, she came up to see our apartment, hang out on the couch and do nothing but take and sit. James came home and we had dinner and hung out. Granny doesn't feel safe driving in the dark, so she left a little before 7- after most of the traffic and home before dark- this is when she would have liked to see me home while I was living with her- but I am not sure if that happened even once. lol- Home before dark- that was difficult. James and I watched a movie. It made me cry because an older woman died and it made me think of Granny. I am not ready to miss her yet. I haven't had my time with her. I am ready to not take her for granted. I love her and I want to be the granddaughter she has helped raise. Not a selfish one but one that is loving and kind and giving. Did you know that without even looking she can tell you anyones birthday/anniversary from memory. She may go check herself but I've never seen her get it wrong... and she remembers to send a card. She is smart. She is beautiful. She has lived life. We don't always see eye to eye on religion but she loves Jesus. She has supported me in all my endeavours. And I want to be there for her. I want to love her and support her. I want to spend more time. Gas and time are NO excuse for me not to get in the car and drive my butt down there. So, this is my promise to my Granny- I will be the granddaughter you have raised. I want to be better at my job. I love you.